I saw this video being shared on FB about mother exchange program.
The ad shows 2 mothers (A & B) whose sons are living in different cities(Chennai & Jodhpur). The mothers talk to each other over the phone and exchange their son’s favourite recipes. The mother in Jodhpur cooks sambar for the other lady’s son who is studying in Jodhpur. The mother in Chennai cooks Ghatte ki sabzi for the lady’s son who is studying in Chennai. I checked who commented the most on the video and it was mostly guys.
1. It is a good idea as in parents exchange.
2. Sentimental and tear jerking (not for me but for many people judging from the comments).
3. It is indeed a nice gesture to have that done to you. Need not be food per se.
1. Why only show sons? Why not one girl in Jodhpur and one boy in Chennai?
2. Why should only mothers cook? When will sons learn to cook for themselves and their parents? Their wives will take over the mothers?
3. Reinforces gender stereotypes and that does not make me feel good.
4. It is disappointing how most ads play upon sentiments of people and just keep on reinforcing gender stereotypes.