A BBC article states that Japan is one of the worst in terms of gender equality among developed countries, especially for mothers – link.
This is some thing I have been saying. We often have a tendency to assume that all economically developed countries have gender equality. They do not. Yes, money does bring in a lot of gender equality but it does not eliminate patriarchy completely. Add to that a culture of not really being critical of your own culture to foreigners and you would barely find out unless you have really observed it yourself.
- I am saddened at the number of people who will have 3-4 kids because they are trying for a son.
- Men rarely do women’s jobs (especially the older generation) – cooking/ helping in the house unless required to and even modern young women accept it as normal that their dads do not or will not help.
- Sexist statements do not really strike as something offensive or wrong to many women.
- Women feel the need to be defined by a man in their lives.
- Low confidence in women because they are women.