I came across this discussion on paid menstrual leave on Huffpost. I also read the 2 articles linked in the huffpost article.
The 2 sides go like this – overall, East Asians seem to view it from TCM point of view and believe not resting would lead to problems later. West seems to view it as unnecessary and anti feminism. Why do we need to treat women like weaklings? Why can’t they take midol?
I don’t agree with certain viewpoints from both sides.
TCM does take things to an extreme and they are not applicable to a lot of people. Besides, who knows how much of that is true and how much has been passed down generations like superstitions without logic [a lot probably]. At the same time, I do not believe we should all suck it up and move on and not show when we feel pain.
- Women or anybody for that matter shouldn’t be sucking it up and ignoring the messages from their bodies unless in dire circumstances. If you don’t feel well, take rest. The sky will not fall down. Let’s stop fighting against our body. A lot of us have been taught to wear overworking + stressed out as badge of honour.
- Taking leave for periods is not a special privilege for women only because well, men are not getting periods.
- I don’t agree with TCM viewpoint that women will have issues if they don’t rest during periods. Most women these days don’t rest.
- Yes, I want to take leave most of the time on the first day of my periods. I am tired and want to rest because I have cramps + occasional vomiting + body soreness. I am not productive like that. I don’t want to do anything. I don’t see why I should be apologetic for that.
- If a certain country has adequate medical leave and you can take leave without producing a medical certificate [MC], I am okay if there is no separate menstrual leave. Many companies here expect you to produce a medical certificate the next day if you take sick leave. Well, most women don’t go to a doctor for that. If countries/companies want a MC every time you take a sick leave because of cramps, might as well institute separate menstrual leave or change the rules for MC. That & if you don’t have enough medical leave.
- People say we cannot know if the woman is lying if she is having period. True. I would suggest 9-10 days menstrual leave if needed and that too, 1 day / month. Sometimes, you can get your periods on a holiday or weekend. Yes, sometimes, women may use that as an excuse. There will always be people who will try to cheat the system. That doesn’t mean we give up on the system right? Should we stop social welfare because some people take advantage of it?
So, I agree with the women in the huffpost video – give more medical leave and some of it without having to show a MC.
Read more articles in this series here.