I was meeting up some friends for lunch and we decided to go to Jamie’s Italian for lunch. I was aware, it was more on the expensive side but we all wanted to try it out. It had opened here, a couple of months ago and was fully booked all the time in the beginning with long queues because kiasuness. I could not book online as the online reservations was closed but we could do a walk in. I read from some blogs that it is not too crowded now and we could get seats.
Jamie’s Italian is in Vivocity. Not my favourite mall in town because
-It is crowded
-It is large and disorienting
-It is noisy
When we went to Jamie’s, they told us we would have to wait for 15-20 minutes. I walked around while waiting for the table.
The decor is fine. More on the side of casual dining. The entrance to the restaurant is dark and I asked to be seated near the areas with windows because it was brighter. They had closed the outdoor seating.
The music was loud and we were listening to the latest American songs. Not really Italian. We did tell them to lower the music because it was giving me a headache and I could not hear myself think. They were nice enough to lower the sound.
We were seated. They promptly placed water glasses upside down on the table. When we turned it up, the waitress told us not to because that upside down glass is an indicator for our “specially designated server” to attend to us. Duh. I dislike these stupid rules and being told not to do something like we are children. U promptly asked how clean the tables were for them to place glasses upside down. I could see the waitress was embarrassed at the question. Looks like, when it is a supposedly posh place, nobody asks questions. Anyhow, “our special server” never came to us. So, we waved to a server to come to us. So there, that stupid rule was unnecessarily complicating stuff.
We were quite hungry. We ordered
- 1 Italian Bread basket – Was decent. 4 small pieces of bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Jools’ favourite sicilian tuna fusilli ($21 which means a larger portion) – H had only a few spoons and left 3/4 of it. u offered to eat the rest and did not eat more than 2 spoons. It was apparently one of the worst and the taste of the tuna overtook everything. There were barely any mediterranean spices.We definitely did not feel any difference between this pasta and regular pasta because Jamie’s claims they have fresh pasta which is made daily.
- Spring pea & mint panzerotti (about $28) Stuffed with ricotta, peas & Parmesan, with broad beans, asparagus, green beans, mint,lemon – The sauce was nice but I felt it was way too overpriced. I got 6 pieces of ravioli, less than 2 beans and a few peas. I did not feel the ravioli was great either. I did not see why it was necessary to put so few veggies. Not like they are giving me organic food. I was not even remotely full but completely pissed by then.
- Grilled Sausage with herbs (about $24) – This was great with lots of herbs but U felt they could have offered some baked potatoes along with the sausage.
- Funky Chips with garlic and parsley (X2- $6.5 each) – This was french fries. It tasted nice but was too oily. I still ate it because I was so hungry.
We had heard that the desserts were good but after the disappointing meal, we really did not want to stay on there.
We asked for the bill. The waiter handed us the bill and went away again before I could take out my card. As we really wanted to leave, I got up to the cashier and gave her my card and the bill. She asked us where we were seated and told us to back and sit and “our special designated waiter” will collect the payment. I told her I wanted to make the payment and leave. Another stupid rule. I did not see the problem when we had a printed bill in hand and I wanted to make the payment.
Our bill for 3 was $114. That’s a lot, especially when nobody was full or happy on leaving the place. I think Jamie’s is overrated and overpriced. I have had better and cheaper Italian food elsewhere. Even better service.
Would I recommend it – No.