I was at this restaurant with my friend and we stuck up conversation in jest with the lady on the next table and this turned the entire time there uncomfortable and it is amazing how ignorant people can be and how much more rude they are capable of being.
When she asked as to where he was from, and then here is how it goes
1) Oh, so you are a <religion>?
Wth? How can someone try to place you in a box immediately because they are from a certain place? One country can have people with different religions. Also, religion is a no go area with a stranger. If unsure, ask, do not assume anything. And what difference does it make to your life if they are from a particular religion especially, if you just met them.
2) *** men are all like that. I once knew a *** man and he was…….
How the hell can one generalise that all men from a certain place are a certain way, just because you knew one from there? So is knowing one woman knowing them all?
3) On being told that she may like visiting that particular place, her immediate remark was ‘ah no! It is a war place. I do not want to risk it.’
Read the news. Update your general knowledge. Stop claiming it a war torn place for a conflict that occurred many many years ago. Which place is safe today? Does your country not have problems?
4) The lady and her friend were talking about different places and they kept dropping the name of the place my friend was from as an example. Wth? I don’t need to hear you mentioning that place when you do not even have the slightest knowledge of it or never set foot within 1000 miles of it.
5) When we left some food because we could not finish it, her comment was “You are wasting food. People of your country do not have food.”
This was the lamest and the most irritating. What do you know about the economics of the country? I could also say, why are you eating so much/spending so much on food when people of your country/other humans are starving/ dying of hunger/begging/jobless/homeless. Why are you spending so much money on your make up/clothes when people do not have money to buy the basic things in life?
How many times do we generalise because people are from a certain place even before getting to know them? This applies everywhere not only across countries. How many times have I not come across highly educated people from cities claiming that the entire south India speaks ‘Madrasi’, survives on sambar for sustenance and that’s all there is to it.
Stop putting people you do not know in boxes. If you do not know, ask, be curious. Learn. Explore. Do not just assume things about people even before you have spent 5 minutes knowing them. Definitely do not make statements about their country, their war, the problems of a particular place because I am not responsible for the actions of my government and definitely not for the entire society. Stop looking down on me because of certain things in my society unless I have participated in them.
How can you know who they are if you have already put them in a certain definable unit? If you have closed yourself to the possibilities? I someone does not fit in any box you can come up with. Where will you put them? Off the face of this galaxy?