What if women collectively –
- refused to give dowry?
- refused to cook just because we are meant to?
- refused to wear only traditional clothes?
- refused to put up with sexual harassment?
- decided to get married, if we wanted to, to who we wanted to and when we wanted to?
- refused to be treated without respect just because we are women in a relationship/marriage?
- refused to put up with an inefficient judiciary and police which blames the victims?
- refused to blame victims of crime because they are women?
- gave up on false ideas of modesty in name of culture/tradition/religion?
- refused to follow rules of patriarchy?
- refused to let the society’s rules and other opinions dictate our lives?
- refused to do sex selective abortion because the society/family demands a son?
- raised our children with equal love and freedom irrespective of their gender?
- refused to say ” I am a woman. I have no choice but to put up with this. I have to sacrifice myself for my family/society.”
- broke our mental chains which keep us bound to rules and regulations that do not help us progress?
- set ourselves free?
Wouldn’t the world be a much better place?Wouldn’t it take away a lot of pressure on us? Wouldn’t we be more free?
What have you done to set yourself free today?