Living alone and having to do everything by myself has made me search and cook in the most time and energy efficient way.
I often make this cake when I have overripe bananas as I do not like eating very ripe bananas and many of my friends love it. I do an customized version of this recipe I got from the internet (Original recipe).
Put in a blender jar:
- 2 to 3 ripe bananas
- Semolina/Rava – like say half a cup. I usually add roughly directly into the blender jar and about enough rava so that the banana and rava are in the ratio 1:0.75.
- Milk – enough to make a thick batter which can be poured. Do not worry, if you end up adding more milk, you can steam it longer.
- Honey – 1-2 large spoons. Depending on how ripe the bananas are and how sweet you like your cake or 3-4 spoons on sugar
- Little cinnamon powder or cardamom
Blend it well and pour it into an oiled pan and steam for 20 minutes. Check if it is done by putting a knife/fork in and it should come out clean without anything sticking to it. Over steaming makes it hard. Let it cool down and cut it into pieces.
I love this recipe for its simplicity and ease. I usually steam it in a steel box and store it directly in it. It uses very little oil and you can customize it for different taste depending on how much banana or sweetness you like.
- Roast the rava in ghee. I am lazy to do this and do not want to wash extra dishes.
- Use coconut milk for a vegan version but I always have milk at home.
- Use jaggery instead of honey/ sugar. I feel honey is the easiest option.
- Maybe add grated coconut? Never tried this though.